Posted by on 4/13/2016 to Recipes
3 Honeycrisp.com apples
2-4 cinnamon sticks, crushed
1 lemon, juice & zest
4 tablespoons sea salt
7-8 cups filtered water
- Combine crushed cinnamon, lemon juice, zest, sea salt, and filtered water in a medium pot.
- Heat over medium heat until barely simmering and salt is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and cover to let steep and cool 30 minutes.
- Slice the tops off 2 of the apples and reserve tops for packing the jars.
- Quarter the apples and slice very thinly.
- Pack sliced apples tightly into 2 quart jars, careful not to bruise them as you press down.
- Fill the jars with salty water, transferring cinnamon pieces and all.
- Place a reserved apple top in each other jars to submerge the slices in the liquid.
- Cover with coffee filters or cheesecloth. Leave at room temperature for 5-7 days, testing around 4 days to gauge how sour it is. The longer it's left at room temperature, the more sour (and less sweet) it will be. The fermented apples will keep for 3-6 months in the refrigerator, as the cold temps will halt the fermentation process right where it's at.
Send us a picture of your
Sweet & Sour Cinnamon Apples to
Receive a coupon for 20% off your
next order from Honeycrisp.com!
Thanks to theadventurebite.com for the recipe
Comment below or email [email protected]
Sign up for the Honeycrisp.com Family Newsletter